Arizona Gold Nugget Shooting

P. Vincent | 9:28 AM | 0 comments

Arizona gold nuggett shootingIn March of 2012 I was on a wandering desert road trip exploring Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. I had my stream prospecting gear and my Minelab Xterra 705 metal detector. I stopped along Colorado river beaches for tourist jewelry. I panned gravels and alluvial sediments from the Henry Mountains for gold flakes. The best stop though was in Northwestern Arizona just outside of the town Congress.

I had heard of the Weaver Mining District through prospecting forums and decided to get a membership for $50. As a member you have access to 2,300 acres of mining claims in Arizona. Both drywash sluicing and gold detecting are very popular in this area. Going without knowledge of the claim or ownership status of an area is the fastest way to get in serious trouble.
 
first gold nuggett detectingI was provided with topo maps outlining the claim boundaries and told which locations had been producing for nugget shooters.  The ground there is incredibly mineralized and getting my machine balanced was an ongoing challenge. I knew things were dialed in though when I started digging up tiny birdshot.

I first focused on old drywash sluice tailings...nothing there. Next, I started working small side washes and low spots...Then...HOLY HELL...I found gold on my first day. This was the first piece of natural gold I have ever found with a detector.  That fact alone will make this a beautiful and memorable place for me. But, even minus any gold it's an amazing landscape on its own and a perfect place to find some desert solace.

Category: , , , , ,

About Cold4Gold:
Just another middle aged guy obsessed with metal detecting and gold prospecting. I spend my extra time skiing, rafting, camping, hiking and biking....really I'll do anything for a little extra time outside.

0 comments